I don’t know about you but I am dying for spring to get here! I asked Deborah from The Little Garden Spot to share some early spring gardening tips with us. Some of you can start putting these tips into action but if you live anywhere near me (Washington DC) you just got snow AGAIN!
1. Clear beds of leaves and branches that may have accumulated during winter.
2. Edge beds and put down a fresh thin layer of mulch. It is important to only put a thin layer to allow plants to breathe and grow.
3. Start seeds indoors. Purchase Spring/Summer bulbs. Start in pots if you want a jump on the growing time (yes please). Keep indoors until danger of frost is gone. (In Zone 7- Mid Atlantic, usually May 1st is a safe bet)
4. Empty containers of dead plants and roots. Replace soil if needed. Scrub empty pots and add fresh potting soil and nutrients. Adding a time released fertilizer is quick and easy.
5. Sharpen and clean gardening tools.
If you really want to spruce up your front entrance or patio I love adding color with pansies, rannuculus, and stock. These are excellent choices for the cool temperatures of Spring. Adding plants like Ivy, and Sweet Flag Grass give the container a complete look
If you want to learn more about The Little Garden Spot and Deborah check out her website and Facebook page. You can see her gorgeous arrangements in our shop and at Rough Luxe. She can help you with anything from a centerpiece for your dining table to a wedding or event you have planned. She is also always willing to provide consultation on your home garden!