So many of can tell by the furniture that I transform I don’t do a lot of “fluffy” projects but I’ve had the decoupage map desk project in my head for a while so for the Rough Luxe Marketplace opening I finally did it! I’ve had this stuck in my head for a while and then I saw Cassie from Primitive & Proper do it on a side table at the barn (P.S. Cassie now owns the barn with some partners and it’s called Sweet Clover, go check it out this weekend!).
So I started with something like this (of course I didn’t take a before pic!).
Then I painted the entire desk in Aubusson Blue Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan. The next steps were as follows…
1. Apply modge podge all over the top of the desk
2. Let is get tacky for about 25 minutes
3. I took an old atlas book and ripped out pages and randomly placed them on the top. Once you place them down you cannot remove them 🙂
4. I then put some modge podge on top to make sure all the edges were down and sticking to the top. I let this sit over night.
5. The next day I applied General Finished High Performance poly (we sell this in the shop) I applied 2 coats thoughout the day and then sanded a little between coats.
6. Finally I distressd and applied the same poly all over the base of the desk too. Yes I said POLY over Chalk Paint®. You can do this …. I will admit it’s not my preferred way to do furniture but it was perfect for this desk!
You will see I left some of the edges torn to add a little character.