We decided to try something a little different for this week’s color recipe…Instead of a color recipe, we’ve done a finish idea that we are kind of obsessed with. It’s super easy and we just happen to have a couple of tutorials for the techniques used to achieve this look.
- We started by applying two solid coats of Duck Egg as our base. it doesn’t have to e perfect, but you’ll want it to be full coverage. (we did two coats, but you may need more if you’re painting over a darker wood/paint)
- We applied a nice, even coat of clear wax over the surface, wiping off the excess
- Next, we applied a color wash of Coco (you could always try it with French Linen too for a cooler-toned look)
- Once the first layer of the wash was dried, we went in with a medium grit sandpaper around the edges and raised faces to expose some of the wood.
- Full disclosure, we initially tried applying a coat of white wax over top of the coco wash, but didn’t love the results. White wax works best when applied directly to the paint without a barrier of clear wax, as it settles into the wood grain and brush strokes. The problem was, between our first coat of clear wax and Coco wash, we were left with a pretty smooth surface. But, since we liked the idea of what it could look like, we decided to come in with a watered down Old white and a artist’s brush and tap the watered down paint into the recesses of our sample block, wiping some back as we went.
- The last step was just to protect our work with another light coat of clear wax.
So, what do you think? We love how the Coco wash pairs with Duck Egg, giving it an aged look without the harshness that can sometimes come with the dark wax. The way the Duck Egg comes through to different degrees is beautiful!
Come and see us at our shop in Falls Church Virginia (address here) and talk to us about your project or BUY ONLINE if you are out of state! We have all your Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan products, wax and so much more! We have everything you need to complete your project. If you have questions email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the inside scoop on upcoming classes, events, new products, services deals + promotions!