Painting with our paint should always be a pleasure.
Annie Sloan developed her now famous Chalk Paint™ to answer the need she had for a paint which would have many uses from acting like limewash to looking like old painted furniture and that had a good range of colour that could be extended by the user. This paint is very easy to work with and allows people to be creative as one doesn’t get involved with the technicalities of preparation and it also allows you to change your mind without hassle.
I offer paint classes at least once a month. You can learn more about these here!
Chalk Paint™ is a very special paint for very many reasons…
- It’s the BEST paint for painting furniture by a long way
- You can use the paint by diluting it with water to make a wash to show the wood grain
- You can use it as an impasto (thickly) – leave the lid off to thicken
- You can use it on any surface, indoors and out
- No need to prime or prepare
- The colours are mixed intelligently and the web site shows how you can adapt your colours for your use
- It’s a girls’ paint, but boys can use it too.
- It’s flexible so you can be creative and change you mind
- The paint can be washed off your brush even when you find your brush weeks later
- It allows your walls to breathe so it is perfect for cottage walls
- Extremely low VOCs so it is good for the environment and safe for your children
- It doesn’t form a skin on it when you leave the lid off – just add some water if it’s too thick
- Very little black is used in their manufacture so the colours are mixed with thought
- You can paint it on walls for a soft matt effect or wax it for a polished plaster effect
About Annie Sloan
Annie Sloan lives and works in Oxford, England with her husband David who runs the business with her. Born in Australia to a Scottish father and a Fijian mother, she came to England to a farming life in Kent when she was ten years old. With spells in Southern Africa and connections to France, Cuba and the US she feels she has world roots. She has three sons all in their twenties and has lived in Oxford for the last twenty five years.
Annie Sloan is probably the main reason for the painted furniture revolution through her easy to approach, lively and creative approach to painting. She has a strong desire to communicate and empower people creatively which she does through her books, workshops and paint. She has been painting for over 40 years as well as writing numerous books on the subject. She has made her own very special paint called Chalk Paint specifically designed for furniture, that can also be used on walls and in paintings. Her paint has been made by having a knowledge of paint, pigments and art history.
Annie trained as a painter but turned to decorative work and understanding colour after university. In 1987 she wrote the phenomenally successful book ‘The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques’ which was followed by over 20 other books on traditional paints, colours and techniques and has led to total sales of well over 2 million books worldwide and in eleven languages. Her latest books are the highly successful ‘Creating the French Look’ published in April 2008 and ‘Quick & Easy Paint Transformations’ published in April 2010.
In 2000 she set up her shop in Oxford to showcase her Chalk Paint, run courses, and offer interior design services using her knowledge about colour.